It began in 1932 with Karl August Hahne. He was a preacher in Gelsenkirchen who was so impressed with the emergence of the Scout movement in England in 1908 that he established in his church the "Baptist Scout Association". After two years, the national socialism put an end to Scouting activities. To prevent his Boy Scout troop from being turned into members of the Hitler Youth, the pastor disband his troop on February 10, 1934.
During the Third Reich, the work was in part secretly continued, which was not without dangers. Two-thirds of the Scouts of the troop "Johann-Gerhard Oncken" did not return out of the war.
After 1945, Herbert Latza, one of Karl August's Boy Scouts, returned safely from the war. He established the "Johann Gerhard Oncken" troop again in Gelsenkirchen and joined the "Christian Scouts", one of the three Scout groups that the allied military government had permitted.
Scouting activities as a special form of public Christian youth work soon found their home in other churches as well. In March 1985, the Baptist Scout Association (Baptistische Pfadfinderschaft - BPS) was establised by Niels Rusch and Kai S. Dorra.
The irony of the story is that at this time neither knew there had previously been such an association with exactly the same name. The first federal decision-taking meeting took place in Lichtenstein on the 21st and 22 nd of November 1987. During this meeting, the cornerstone for the philosophy of the BPS was set. In April 1995, the Baptist Scout Association was officially recognized as part of the team of the Gemeindejugendwerk (Municipal Youth Work) at the GJW conference in Hamburg.